Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Daily Blog (Jan 28) - Leo

As I walked in from the cold, crisp morning into the nice, warm classroom, I knew my educational day was about to begin. When I sat down at my slovenly desk I was told to stand up for the flag salute.

Then I was off to the Computer Lab hoping to get free choice, which means I could play any computer game I wanted. Sure enough, Mrs. Dunn said that since we behaved well last week, we get free choice.

After the fun computer lesson was over, we silently walked back to class to not disturb other classes. When I returned, Mr. McMurray told me to get out my assignment for Literature Circles as I was the correspondent. The correspondent’s job is to write a letter to one of the characters in the book.

After discussing my book, I went to research the Powhatan Indian tribe. The Powhatan are famous because Pocahontas was the daughter of the chief, Powhatan. Pocahontas is famous because she married one of the colonists. Colonists were people who settled in America and later went to war with the Powhatan for their land. Chief Powhatan ruled 30 other tribes when they were at war with the colonists. When the war was over the Powhatan were defeated, Chief Powhatan and Pocahontas were dead, and the few survivors fled to Pennsylvania.

Next Mr. McMurray said that I should take out my math homework and notebook to start correcting my assignments and taking notes. We only finished two problems of multiplication of decimals before I heard an ear-piercing bell, which meant recess!

After recess was over, I finished correcting my math homework and heard Mr. McMurray’s voice announce problem solving. I finished that thinking math was over until I heard Problem of the Day! Problem of the Day is math practice on what we are learning. I finished the Problem of the Day just in the nick of time before the bell rang for lunch!

When lunch and recess were over I had a lockdown drill. A lockdown occurs when Proctor has a person on campus who isn’t supposed to be there or when a criminal is in the area. What classes do during a lockout is lock all the doors, close the blinds, get out of sight, and answer neither the door nor the phone.

Following the lockdown I silent read my biography book about Harry Houdini. Harry was a magician who was amazing at getting out of handcuffs. Some of his acts were very dangerous, such as jumping into lakes handcuffed.

The last activity of the day was Language Arts Centers, which is when the class splits up and goes to wherever they were assigned, which is either Mrs. Rainey’s class, Mrs. Pisciotto ‘s class, or Mr. McMurray’s class. I went to Mrs. Pisciotto’s class. What I do there is learn new words and how to use them.

When Language Arts Centers was over, the bell rang to signal that school was out so I headed out the door and went home!

No comments:

Post a Comment